Bookworm

Busy bee

In the last few days I sent out drafts of three brochures, a website, a flyer, and half of a newsletter. I went to a marketing committee meeting where I made deeply insightful comments about the virtues of using plain text rather than html for electronic newsletters. And I got hired for a big website that I am very excited about! Woo-hoo!

I made a potato-veggie kugel and my famous spicy carrot salad to bring to my parents' seder.

I read a book, Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner, which I highly recommend to anyone who loves ridiculous plot coincidences and/or one-dimensional stock characters of which none are the least bit sympathetic or interesting.

To get the taste of that out of my mouth I went back to the old tried-and-true you-know-who. The Far Side of the World happened to be closest at hand this time. Right now we're just getting out of the doldrums, thank God, and pretty soon the bad thing that happens as a result of the love triangle between Mr. Horner (the impotent gunner) and Mr. Hollar (the down-and-out midshipman, possibly a Jonah, but boy can he sing exquisitely) and Mr. Horner's wife (who will wash her smalls in the fresh water that's needed for steeping the salt meat and mixing the grog), is going to happen. And Dr. Maturin and Mr. Martin, bless their hearts, are presently going to see some blue-faced boobies.

And wouldn't you know it, Steve recently discovered that there are TWO seasons of Six Feet Under at the video store that we haven't seen. You know what that means: shuffling the kids off to bed as early as we decently can, and then gluing ourselves to the tv to watch three or four episodes per night. Night after bleary night until we're done. We can't help ourselves. This is why we don't have regular tv (no reception at all). At least with videos we only do this a few times a year. Other shows we've watched: CSI Las Vegas, Sopranos, and 24. Though we're not planning to continue with 24, not after the last season where the show's right-wing agenda became so painfully apparent. Six Feet Under, if nothing else, is a good antidote for that.

8 Comments:

  • Heavens, Julie, you have been busy. Why is it that holidays always involve so much strenuous labor? We here at the Box are not yet committed to Easter-egg hunts and the procurement and display of chocolate bunnies (the boy is too young, thank goodness) but hunting a new dress, keeping up with paid projects, and making pies is bad enough.
    Am I too late to wish you a Happy Passover? Happy Late Passover.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 11:18 AM  

  • I understand using a favorite book as a palate cleanser. For this purpose I like Anne Fadiman's Ex Libris or Robin McKinley's Sunshine.

    posted by Blogger Sharon L. Holland on 11:31 AM  

  • Oh, we watched Sex and the City and The Sopranos that way, too, all in one compressed period of time. I love it!

    And thanks for the heads-up about 24; my husband has expressed an interest in starting that show and as he's conservative, fairly right-wing and I'm, well, not, I think I'll steer clear of that one. :)

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 11:52 AM  

  • Congrats on all the good news in the work arena-- your business is taking off fast. My husband and I are also Six Feet Under fans, although I have to ask just how much trauma one family can endure. And as for 24-- I watched one and a half seasons before I got too disgusted by the egregious violence and cruelty at its center. It's like they were constantly trying to top themselves-- weren't shocked by that beheading? Let's see what else we can come up with that's even worse.

    posted by Blogger martha on 12:19 PM  

  • Another TV-watcher-via-DVD chiming in...We're big fans of Six Feet Under as well. We try so hard to savor, but, too often, we'll consume three episodes in one sitting. This form of gluttony, at least, is easier on the waistline...sort of.

    posted by Blogger Kristy on 1:03 PM  

  • We watched the first two seasons of Sopranos and 24 like that. And then when it was all over it was what I imagine it is like to come off a drinking binge - we were bleary-eyed and hung over.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 9:13 AM  

  • The new Pittsfield branch of the AA library has all the 6 Feet Under DVDs. They have a huge selection of videos in general--I checked out two movies I'd been meaning to rent from the video store when I went last week. And they have a wacky ball launching thing smack dab in the middle of the library that I can't tear Ian away from when we go. Not that you necessarily are looking for ball launching machines....

    posted by Blogger Kate on 4:11 PM  

  • Okay, if you're going to keep going on and on about him I supposed I MUST read him.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:19 AM