Bookworm

A new meme

I don't know if Ella realizes this, but she made up a new meme. Here it is:

Words that always look misspelled to me:
pendant
Schuylkill

Words that look nicer in italics:
Julia
words with lowercase f's.

Words I enjoy saying:
brouhaha
chutney
clarinet

Words I enjoy hearing:
tuppence
Cecchetti

Abbreviations I dislike:
"My bad" (ok, that's not an abbreviation, but I still detest it)

Proper nouns I enjoy:
Conshohocken
Psarianos
Clementine

Words I associate with happiness:
Rare
Dovecote
Serendipity
Prairie
Eiderdown

Words I always misspell:
Well [cough, cough] . . . there really aren't any. But I always have to check myself on parsley. Or is it parsely?

Words I enjoy spelling correctly, every time:
Accommodate
Supersede
Necessary
Broccoli
a lot

Those were Ella's categories. I'll add one of my own --

Words that, though I love their meaning, I'm too embarrassed to say out loud:
paella

10 Comments:

  • Too embarrassed to say Paella out loud?! Shout it from the rooftops!

    Now THIS is a meme I could love...

    posted by Blogger Kristy on 3:49 PM  

  • Excellent, I'm in!

    And hey, why can't I select your text?!?

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4:01 PM  

  • Quick! Tag someone!

    I admire the fact that you can spell broccoli correctly. I can do it, but I have to think of how Spiccoli (of Fast Times at Ridgemont High - a movie I have never actually seen, just read about) is spelled. How sad is that? Sad.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 5:46 PM  

  • You're so smart. No, really! :)

    Hi, my name is mrsd, and I use Spellcheck.

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 11:30 PM  

  • Oh, wow, I forgot about the tagging aspect of memes. Ok, since you've shown interest: I hereby tag Kristy and Sylvia. I get the feeling from mrsd that she'd rather not be tagged, am I right? And I should add that my fear of saying paella out loud does not stop me from ordering it in restaurants. I just hold up the menu, point, and say "I'll have that." No worries. :)

    posted by Blogger Julie on 7:34 AM  

  • LOL- too embarrassed to say a food word. That's a great ending to a post where I need to look up the meanings of some of those other words. I thought I used to teach English.

    posted by Blogger Gel on 9:20 AM  

  • Yeah, you're back! Yippee!

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4:30 PM  

  • What a great meme. I'm going to have to do this one--I love words.

    Paella is one of those Spanish words where the double l has a y sound. Pah-ay-ah.

    My grandpa lived in Mexico most of his life, and always said llama with a y instead of the l. It sounded funny, but it was kind of cute.

    posted by Blogger purple_kangaroo on 10:50 PM  

  • Foreign words and names I hate to mispronounce in order to stave off accusations of ..what? Pedantry? Old fogeyism? Typical Fatherwormism-ha-ha-ha?

    Potatoes au gratin, au jus, rugalach, manicotti, panne cotta, Sissy Spacek, Vladimir Putin, Duke of Leicester, Götterdämmerung, efcharisto.

    But what is a meme?

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 11:27 PM  

  • I love this meme. First one that's looked really interesting to me.

    posted by Blogger Sharon L. Holland on 10:32 PM