Bookworm

Dream sequence

Most of the time I dread having to listen to other people tell their dreams. Why is it so tedious? I dunno, but it sure is. However, I have one friend -- a very dear friend, whom I've known since age 10, through thick and thin, etc., etc. -- who has the most amazingly fertile and hilarious imagination. Whenever she starts a conversation with the words "I had the weirdest dream last night" I settle down happily 'cause I know I'm in for a treat.

The other day I got this email from her. She wrote:

So yesterday, in Evanston, Ed woke me up out of dream by handing the phone to me. It was [our friend] Tom, who, after listening to me babble for a moment, asked me what my dream was. In this way I actually remembered it.

I dreamed that you, Julie, were the editor of a private investigators' weekly newspaper. You used standard black and white print but with banners of neon green. In the paper you had a weekly dating column; however, the only couple you ever featured was you guys. The text went something like: "This week our leading lady is this paper's own Julie Hathaway! And who's the lucky guy who sweeps her off her feet? It's her husband, Steve!"

Julie, you were represented in the paper by a neon green pince-nez.

Steve, you were represented by a neon green block letter H.

So thanks, you guys, for providing me with a very amusing dream. We'll have to work out the symbolism of your respective representations :) .

Oh ha ha! And to think that her dream about me included typography! My influence is deeper than I'd realized . . . [gleefully rubbing hands together] bwa ha ha ha . . . !

3 Comments:

  • I love it when I am in other people's dreams. Well, most of the time, that is ....

    posted by Blogger jo(e) on 9:37 PM  

  • I love the image of neon-green pince-nez! I agree that other people's dreams fail to fascinate me, but this one was very entertaining.

    posted by Blogger Suzanne on 9:48 PM  

  • Neon green pince-nez would be sooo cool! I am a person who loves to recount their dreams - most of the time I am sure they are pretty boring - but occasionally I dream of rabid turtles and then everyone wants to listen!

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8:00 PM