Bookworm

Pride goeth before a fall

**Warning: this post probably contains "too much information!" Feel free to skip to the paragraph that starts with "However."**

I gloated.

I gloated, and now I'm paying for it. Ohhhh, am I paying for it.

I gloated because I thought I had twice beaten chicken pox; first, when I was little and my sister had it, and second, about two and a half weeks ago when my vaccinated son had it.

This is SO gross. I have a LOT on the top of my head. My scalp is constantly crawling, and when I run my fingers through my hair I can feel all these little bumps. This afternoon I found the first crusty one. And you should see my hair: I look like Jimmy Neutron. No, I'm not posting any photos!

There's a really large one about one inch south of my belly button that for some reason hurts like hell. It's bulbous, and you can tell there's liquid inside.

And, even worse, I don't know how to say this politely, but I have new sympathy for sufferers of venereal disease. Oh, how it burns!

However, I wouldn't be a true Bookworm if this situation didn't lead me to a book. Strange mental association, perhaps, but my painful scalp reminded me of the John Christopher science fiction trilogy about the Tripods. The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire. (Oh my! When I went to Amazon for the link, I discovered there's a prequel now. Okay, not a trilogy. But it used to be a trilogy.) Anyway, I still have my copies of the original trilogy so I spent some happy hours recuperating and reading while my dear hubby chased after the toddler. I got through the first two, and am partway through the third. Yes, I was skimming; I have read these books before, though it's been many years.

So the painful scalp association was as follows: these books take place in a future where aliens have taken over Earth. Humankind is kept under their subjection by means of metal mesh caps which are implanted onto the skull of every adolescent in a "coming-of-age" ceremony. The main character runs away from home before he is Capped and, along with a few others who managed not to get Capped, overthrows the evil aliens. The really cool gimmick about this series is the Tripods. The aliens cannot breathe our air, so they travel around in Tripods. They are tall as a skyscraper, with a little dome on top, and three long legs on the bottom. They walk across the countryside and can be seen from miles away. I wouldn't be at all surprised if these were inspired by Tripods. Another thing that has stuck with me all these years, aside from the mental image of these menacing Tripods stalking across the fields, is the writing style. It's very stilted and formal, not at all what you'd expect from a kids' book written in 1967. It's almost Jules Verne-y. Weird, but I like it.

Okay, time for another Aveeno oatmeal bath. Yuk. I don't even like to take baths when I'm well.

Some more clerihews would sure cheer me up, though.

5 Comments:

  • First of all I am so sorry about the chicken pox. Just remember that this too shall pass.

    Second of all. I HAD TOTALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT SERIES! Yes, I did read them. I read them in Junior High and as soon as you mentioned the titles I had a flash of the covers of the books and my school library and the exact location that I found them in back in the eighth grade. Talk about a trip!

    Yeah, they did have an odd tone for being geared towards kids or youth anyway.

    posted by Blogger Sleeping Mommy on 5:26 PM  

  • Oh, poor thing! My husband got chicken pox as an adult and it was much, much worse than the case in the child he caught it from. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    posted by Blogger Suzanne on 6:00 PM  

  • Shoot, I was hoping my ESP was off about this one. I just shot you an email, and refrained from asking bout chick pox.

    YOU POOR THING! It's AWFUL as an adult and mom of 3 stay at home children to have this. (I had a rash, all over my body, written up by NIH that is not chick pox (worse than poison ivy), so I really feel for you!) Feel better soon. I hope someone or ones can help you out!

    posted by Blogger Gel on 11:22 PM  

  • I hear Julie the Bookworm
    is feeling quite infirm.
    Would absynthe (just a cup)
    possibly cheer her up?

    Many other trials visited Job
    like the pox he got on his earlobe
    and the ringworm on his adams apple
    and hives that made his bottom dapple


    If that doesn't cheer you, what about that footbath?

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 4:34 PM  

  • Oh dear, I am so sorry! Have all your kids had it yet? Have you tried soaking in an oatmeal bath? That is is if A SAHM ever gets 30 min.to herself so she can soak.

    posted by Blogger Unknown on 5:06 PM