Bookworm

The Mind Fair

Oops, forgot about the school function I was going to tell you about. It's called The Mind Fair, and it's sort of like a science fair, but much expanded. More like a "poster session" where you learn about something, and present it on a poster. It's open to the whole elementary school. Some teachers require their students to do projects, though most don't. It's run entirely by parents, with PTO funds. Here are some projects kids have done in the past, to give you an idea. One kid did one all about pasta. She glued different shapes of dried pasta to the poster, explained the meaning of the different Italian names, wrote about the origin, and included a recipe. Another kid did a chemical analysis of cigarettes. Another one tested the theory that if you don't prick a potato before you bake it, it will explode. My son's project last year was all about the different substances people have used for currency (wampum, seashells, big rocks, etc.).

For two days all these projects are on display in the auditorium. Every classroom has time allotted to go down and check out the projects; parent volunteers are on hand to "interview" the students who have created projects. The evening of the second day is a big open house where the families come and see what the kids have done. This is my all-time favorite school event of the whole year. It beats the ice cream social, pancake supper, Spring Sings -- no question! The kids are all so creative and incredible, and it is so fun to mill around and praise them all. Everyone who enters gets a ribbon, and it's just an all-around great feel-good experience.

Ok, can I brag now? My little daughter produced a terrific project. It's all about ladybugs. The reason I'm so very proud of her is because she didn't just read about ladybugs. She also observed them all year long, and remembered what she saw. Here are her observations:
  • They have teeny-tiny heads.
  • Once they land after they've been flying for a while, their back wings stick out.
  • The shape of their bodies is completely round.
  • There are lots of ladybugs hibernating in my house!
  • They can swim.
  • They can walk on the walls and ceiling without falling off.
Is that just the cutest, sweetest thing? She also had facts about aphids, larva, life span, etc., from a book. But I just love her observations. And, if you are wondering, she knows they can swim because she once saw one swimming (not just floating, but actually propelling itself) in the dog's water bowl.

3 Comments:

  • That is cool of your daughter. I hope she titled her exhibit:
    'A Lady's Year With The Bugs '
    :)

    PS. Print out this blog posting and put it with her exhibit stuff when you store it all away...

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 11:53 AM  

  • What a marvelous idea! I do hope you'll post a picture. Would you e-mail me a URL to your school's website - I'd like to pass this on to our science person.

    posted by Blogger Unknown on 8:22 PM  

  • Wow, blogger is still so slow! I'm just glad I was able to post a comment. :)

    I'm glad to see you are feeling better. And congratulations to your daughter on her project. I'm so looking forward to these kinds of things when my kids are all in school.

    posted by Blogger Sleeping Mommy on 11:41 AM