Bookworm

I didn't mean to

I was surfing along on BlogExplosion when I came across this blog with the five questions interview chain-letter thingy. I didn't mean to be one of the first five comments, but when I saw that the author had met PETE TOWNSHEND in real life, I had to say something! So, she sent me five great questions. Here they are:

1. How many books are in your "to be read" stack, and what are they?

Well, my "to be read" list (let's not call it a stack because I don't have them all yet) stretches into misty infinity. I will never be done reading all the books I want to read. However, very next on the list is this month's book club selection, Oryx & Crake, by Margaret Atwood. I'm also in the middle of re-reading The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald. And contrary to what I said earlier, I haven't completely given up on Vanity Fair. Other random books I'd like to read some day: Master & Margarita, The Magic Mountain, that new series by Neil Stephenson, and the newest Stephanie Plum book, the moment it hits the bookstore shelves, heh heh.

2.
You mention an interest in "human evolution." Assuming we survive the next hundred thousand years, how do you imagine our species will have turned out by then?

Excellent question! This is something I have actually thought a lot about. There is a series by Orson Scott Card about a human culture that's 40 million years old, and I'm just a little bit obsessed with this idea. (Query: 40 million years from now, what, if anything, will they believe about our 21st century culture?) But to answer the question, frankly, I don't think we're going to last that long, but let's assume. I HOPE for a centralized planetary government, intergalactic travel, peaceful relations with alien species. If we evolve physically, hopefully it will be to adapt to the rigors of space travel and life on other planets. If I had to choose a sci-fi author whose future world I'd like to live in, well, maybe it would be Larry Niven.

3.
And, will the "Kingston Trio" genetic mutation have run its course?

I can't help it about the Kingston Trio. In my defense, I have to say that I know quite a few other people my age, with parents the same age as mine, who were similarly corrupted as small children. And ok, this is NOTHING compared to meeting Pete Townshend, but I've seen the Kingston Trio live in concert twice, and I got to say hi to Bob Shane. I'm working on perpetuating the mutation: my kids love 'em too.

4.
Were any of your children born at home?

Yes. I had the first in the hospital. As soon as I walked in the hospital door I realized my mistake, and I had my second and third at home with lay midwives. Let me know if you want the gory but predictable details of the hospital birth, or the beautiful and empowering stories of my home births.

5.
What are you currently writing?

Besides this post, you mean? : ) Actually, I do more editing than writing. Right now I'm in the thick of the April issue of our elementary school newsletter. I'm also editing and desktop publishing my late father-in-law's memoirs, a project that I'm very excited about. At some point in the near future I'm planning to start a desktop publishing business.

Chenoah, thanks for the great questions. I have bookmarked your blog, and especially could relate to your "thank God that's over" comment, 'cause I used to be a paralegal. Yeah, thank God that's over!

Ok, first five people to comment (if I get that many!) get five questions from me.

7 Comments:

  • Julie! Not sure if I want to answer questions, but if you ask, I'll consider answering. I have to stay incognito for your safety... ;)

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 2:20 PM  

  • I would be interested in hearing about your home births. That's a subject that's always fascinated me. I had all three of mine in the hospital, but often got irritated by the controlling aspect of the environment ("stay in bed"...etc).

    posted by Blogger Sharon on 7:31 PM  

  • I like the Kingston Trio too. I tried to foster a love of same on my children but it didn't take. How I raised 2 non readers and non acoustic music lovers is a mystery.

    posted by Blogger Unknown on 8:53 PM  

  • Hey, I'm number 4!

    I just finished Oryx and Crake -- after you've read it, drop me a line and let me know how you liked it.

    posted by Blogger Suzanne on 8:52 AM  

  • Bookworm! This blog is great! If I'm in time, I look forward to getting 5 questions--my comment: which celebrity do you wish you'd met? I find that in-person contact with celebs greatly reduces their standing in my mind. They become mundane. Maybe this is why we seldom/never have contact with aliens or divine beings--they know they're going to lose some of their standing, if, in fact, we see them in the act of standing--scratching, or whatever.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3:33 PM  

  • I enjoyed exploring your site and coming up with some questions for ya, and I loved reading your answers! I agree completely with your answer about the future of our species; I doubt we'll make it, but if we do, I hope we get over ourselves enough to do something interesting out there. As to Kingston Trio -- I don't dislike them; it's just that my brother got a double dose of that recessive gene and kinda ran into the ground. Meeting Pete Townsend was a dream come true because as someone once said, he is "the thinking man's rock musician." Too bad my brain disengaged, but... at least I got to shake his hand!

    posted by Blogger Candace on 5:26 PM  

  • Okay, I just have to say that with this post your blog has made it onto my list of Blogs To Read. You post about the Fibonacci Sequence and homebirth in the same week, read George MacDonald and Orson Scott Card, and call your dad 'papa' -- my gosh, what more could anyone ask for?

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8:57 PM