Bookworm

Sparse . . . and a little romance . . . and something spooky

Once again I seem to have gotten behind in my blogging. It's been several days since I've posted or visited. I apologize. I got distracted by the sudden need to change my template. Six months is way too long to go without changing the template. I need -- I need! -- variety. I'm not one of those people who fears and hates change. I say: Bring it on! Give me something new! Every day! This time, I went sparse.

You might have noticed a strange title on my bedside table. License to Deal? What is that? A book about the legalization of marijuana? Heh, heh, well, no. It's a book about this guy who manages baseball players. He's an agent. He negotiates contracts, gets endorsements, and so forth. An odd choice, to be sure, not my usual fare. And I went to some trouble to get my hands on a copy (interlibrary loan, all the way from the Pontiac Public Library). The reason, the only reason, I'm interested in this is because the subject of the book, sports agent Matt Sosnick, is my cousin Amy's fiancé. They met online. Just about a month ago. And they are engaged. Madly, madly in love. Matt said he made a list of 100 things he looked for in a prospective girlfriend. Amy was a "yes" on the first 22. ("What was number 23?" we clamored to know. "Heh, heh," said Amy, "I do have a tattoo.")

Matt and Amy live in the San Franscisco area. They blew into town last weekend like a breath of crazy fresh air. Matt, who also "owns a piece" of Ticketmaster, brought along ten tickets to the Michigan football game, section 24 row 45 (for those not in the know: very good seats). Matt is warm, funny, expansive, generous, and clearly not a local. He hailed us a cab after the game. A cab! I didn't know we had cabs in Ann Arbor. Anyway, we had a ball. Amy's folks drove down from up north to Meet Him -- and go to the game, so we had a mini-family reunion. Amy and Matt, blessings on you both.

I can't wait to read the book.

* * *

Our next book group selection is The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. We chose it because the author will be giving a talk at the Ann Arbor District Library next month.

Let me tell you something weird and spooky. The Historian is about someone researching vampires. The researcher goes through lots of dusty old archives trying to find out . . . but gets thwarted by -- (insert spooky music) -- Someone Who Doesn't Want Her To Find Out!

AADL kindly put a bunch of copies on reserve for people who signed up for the talk next month. I and others from my book group called in time, got our names on the list, went to the library to pick up the book, and -- (insert spooky music) -- no book! That's right. We have had great difficulty obtaining our copies. The complications have been, well, byzantine. And we are wondering whether -- (insert spooky music) -- Someone Doesn't Want Us To Read This Book!

The bottom line is, we don't have enough copies of the book to go around. I did finally get one, and I've been reading it like mad to finish it in time for someone else to get their turn before the end of the month. And you know what else? I can't even go to the talk at the library. It's the same night as PTO, and heaven knows I can't miss that! Oh yes, I've got my priorities straight.

20 Comments:

  • Love the new design! Too bad the Michigan game wasn't all that great. My family watched and were sorely disappointed to lose to Notre Dame of all schools. Sigh.

    posted by Blogger Melissa on 5:06 PM  

  • Wow - what a change - very slick, very chi-chi and very eye catching!

    posted by Blogger Unknown on 7:12 PM  

  • Oooo - nice template. I'm the same way. I love change, and am satisfied for awhile. Then, I get the itch to move on, and I'm focused on the change until it's completed.

    Did you say anything else in the post?

    posted by Blogger Fred on 9:18 PM  

  • Love the design. Boo to Lloyd Carr.

    And PTO vs. Bookclub? Man, that's a dilemma. That book sounds sooo interesting.

    posted by Blogger SuzanH on 9:59 PM  

  • Excellent design! I'm very impressed.

    mrsd

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 10:21 PM  

  • Yeah, I like it too. I'm not supposed to be commenting or blogging, I'm supposed to be in bed. Don't tell anyone I was here.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:31 AM  

  • Melissa: I had feelings of doom after the first game. The ONLY reason we won was because the other team was so bad. Our defense was nonexistent.

    Guusje: slick doesn't sound like a compliment...but I'll take eye catching any day. :)

    Fred: nope.

    Suzanh: yeah, and I'm not even an officer.

    Mrsd: thankee ma'am.

    Laura: Your secret's safe with me!

    posted by Blogger Julie on 7:16 AM  

  • That's a fun reason to read a book. My brother-in-law is actually one of the main characters in The Counter by Kevin Blackwood (yes, it's a novel, but based very closely on real life).

    posted by Blogger purple_kangaroo on 12:47 PM  

  • Hey, Blogger ate my comment from yesterday!

    I think I said "Love the new look!" and something about wanting to read The Historian and wanting to know what you thought about it.

    Stupid Blogger.

    posted by Blogger Suzanne on 1:05 PM  

  • Funny. That's just what my brother said. He took it a step further, though: he had feelings of doom when he saw the initial national standings. He's always felt that starting in the top 10 is a bad omen for Michigan. We do much better coming from behind. :)

    posted by Blogger Melissa on 1:45 PM  

  • I love the design.

    Th ebook sounds great! I am intrigued.

    posted by Blogger Heather on 1:55 PM  

  • I LOVE the new look! Thanks for the tips for new reading material. I'm always looking though I'm busy now and won't have too much time to read. HORRORS!

    UofM...I was so embarassed...it had to be turned off.

    posted by Blogger Adrienne on 7:15 PM  

  • I have a copy of the book that you can borrow for your book club. And the game? Abyssmal. A cryin' shame. A spectacle of garbage. I HATE Notre Dame.

    Hey, thanks for the tattoo tip, I will definitely check out their pad. I think it is Name Brand Tattoo.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 7:39 PM  

  • You know and meet the most interesting people. This book sounds intriguing :)

    posted by Blogger Running2Ks on 8:33 PM  

  • purple, I'm intrigued. I've never heard of The Counter...and how did your BIL become its subject?

    Suzanne, thanks. I'm actually having a little trouble with The Historian at the moment. I keep thinking the plot is convoluted and hard to follow, but I KNOW that's only because every time I sit down with it I am sooooo tired. I'm only a third of the way into it right now; I'll keep you posted.

    Melissa: I agree completely. It's always a bad sign if we start out with a high ranking. I also think it's a bad sign (sometimes) if we're winning at the end of the first half. I'm glad I wasn't at the Notre Dame game.

    Heather, thanks.

    Adrienne, thanks. Yeah, you might want to wait til winter break for this one. It does take a little concentration. Yeah. Embarrassing. See above.

    Nixie, thanks. Actually, since I posted, one of the other members bought a copy and I think we have enough to go around. Yeah. Abysmal. See above. And you're welcome. The owners are Jeff and Kerri, if it's the right place.

    Running, actually I don't. My life is extremely boring and ordinary most of the time. When something odd happens I milk it for all it's worth in an effort to make myself seem more interesting. Heh, heh,isn't that why we all have blogs? :)

    posted by Blogger Julie on 7:16 AM  

  • I really love the new site! And my TBR pile is getting so big, I can't possibly go out and get the books you mentioned although I really want to!

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 9:39 AM  

  • I love the new look. Very clean.

    I may be hiring you soon for mine (if I can pay in foot rubs!)

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 1:32 PM  

  • I love the new design. So spacious and easy to read.

    My husband and his dad would give their left arms for those seats. Though maybe not to watch Notre Dame destroy the home team...

    posted by Blogger Phantom Scribbler on 5:42 PM  

  • Please be aware that Elizabeth Kostova's appearance at AADL has recently been changed from October 10th to October 13th, 7:00 PM, Downtown Library. She is up for an award in New York on the 10th and had to reschedule. Hope you'll all be able to make it!

    http://www.aadl.org/events/list/?id=5965

    My wife is reading The Historian right now, and she's had to find a new time to read it, as it's too scary for bedtime. =)

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:44 AM  

  • Crisp and professional new look.
    I also crave and need variety!
    Some people have made the well-intended, but misguided error of suggesting that I "just freelance write" or "just paint pastel portraits and landscapes" or "just concentrate on photography" ..or just ignore two college degrees and focus on one field.
    (I like your purple Pilcrow logo, too.)
    Variety is the spice of life and I'm having a good "thyme." ;)

    posted by Blogger Gel on 12:10 PM