Bookworm

News

I have a bunch of book-related things to write about, but I'm too tired for any except the big one, which is that I went to Melanie Lynn Hauser's book signing this evening! I read her book, Confessions of Super-Mom, a few days ago. Read it almost in one sitting, in fact. Her book is charming and hilarious. But I will not say anything more about it because I KNOW you are going to read it anyway, and I don't want to spoil it for you. Except that if you happen to have a teen or pre-teen son who is obsessed with comic books (as I do) you will especially enjoy this one.

Anyway, it was so fun to meet Melanie. Like her book, she's charming and hilarious, and very sweet. And her hair? Adorable! I got there a little late because I had to rush from across town, with Joey in tow, still wearing his martial arts gear. When I arrived she was talking about the process of writing and how she finally ended up getting published. Then she read from the book, and boy did she read! I wouldn't be surprised if she has a background in acting. She read really well! I wished I could have spent more time talking with her and her husband, who was also there.

All in all, a fun and entertaining evening. Couldn't leave the store without buying something, so we picked up The Littles for Lena (and ordered Betsy-Tacy and Tib, but maybe I'll save that one for the holidays) and a fresh copy (our third?) of Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever for Daniel because the previous ones have been trashed beyond any salvage.

14 Comments:

  • All very good book choices!

    posted by Blogger purple_kangaroo on 2:26 AM  

  • I was at Melanie's book signing along with Bookworm, and I will attest to everything she says. Melanie was wonderful. I held out buying her book because I knew she would be in town. This way I got an autographed copy. I took it home, and immediately my wife informed me that she gets to read it first!

    It was great to see Melanie, who I already knew on-line, and meet Bookworm!

    posted by Blogger RyanBruner on 9:41 AM  

  • Hi Julie! It was great to see you! (And Ryan, too!) And you're right on the money - I do have an acting background. It helps not just with the reading, but the writing, I've found.

    And you know what? I've been seriously contemplating ordering all the Betsy-Tacy books, because I remember loving them so much when I was a girl. I think they've all been re-issued, haven't they?

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:26 PM  

  • Actually, yes, the Betsy-Tacy books have been republished... we got the first three for my oldest a couple of years back. Unfortunately, she lost interest in the series... sigh. Can't win them all. Maybe the next daughter will be interested.

    posted by Blogger Melissa on 12:51 PM  

  • Now it's my turn to be jealous!

    posted by Blogger Suzanne on 2:20 PM  

  • How very cool-a brush with greatness!

    posted by Blogger Running2Ks on 5:46 PM  

  • Hi - Coming here via Melanie's blog. Lucky you that you were at her booksigning. I can't wait to read her book. Oh and glad to have found another bookworm :)

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:21 AM  

  • I am so jealous you got out of the house and conversed with grown-ups! I need to subscribe to Nicola's email updates so I can find out when authors are visiting. Going to the game tomorrow?

    posted by Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian on 10:08 PM  

  • Wow - 15 minutes of fame!

    posted by Blogger Fred on 8:41 PM  

  • I'm w/ nixie re: seeing grown-ups!Special experience to enjoy! :)
    (Uh, but a hair link? You keep me on my toes!)

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 5:32 AM  

  • That was me above. Don't know what's going on w/ Booger Blogger.

    posted by Blogger Gel on 5:34 AM  

  • I like your new look.

    posted by Blogger Liz Miller on 12:36 PM  

  • Oh, I love your new look!

    posted by Blogger lijhe on 2:08 PM  

  • Hey, I like the new look. You had me double checking that I was in the right place today :)

    posted by Blogger Running2Ks on 3:17 PM