Bookworm

Bookshelf

Well, I gave up on Out of the Silent Planet, at least temporarily. The book was just too ugly to read. So, groping on my bedside table for anything -- anything! -- to read, I of course came up with a Patrick O'Brian, number 3 in the series, H.M.S. Surprise. We keep Patrick O'Brians scattered all over the house, because you never know when you might need a good roborative dose. This is the one where they are taking the envoy to Malaysia, but he dies on the way there. (That wasn't a spoiler. Plot is not what these books are about, though my husband would disagree.) But I did go to the library and find a nice, hard-cover, Bound-to-Stay-Bound copy of Planet. However, it's going to have to wait a little longer, because I also stopped by Nicola's this morning and picked up a copy of Confessions of Super-Mom. Daniel has just gone down for his nap. Sofa and Confessions: Here! I! Come!

P.S. If you are familiar with Patrick O'Brian I'm sure you will appreciate my clever use of the word roborative.

8 Comments:

  • I'll be interested to hear what you think of Out of the Silent Planet. I think Perelandra was my favorite of that series.

    posted by Blogger purple_kangaroo on 3:33 PM  

  • Well, the silly thing is, I've read it before. The whole series in fact. And the first time, which was years ago, I did manage to finish it -- the very exact same ugly copy that I still own! And I know I liked it, but I don't remember anything about it.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 6:31 PM  

  • I have been itching to buy more books (as if the HUGE pile next to my bed isn't calling to me, pleading with me to read them). I can't help myself, I hear of an interesting book and I MUST have it. So off I am to Nicola's for a hopefully not ugly copy of Out of the Silent Planet and anything by Patrick O'Brian (plus about a dozen kids books that sounded really cool too).

    posted by Blogger NixieKnox on 6:49 PM  

  • I made a Powell's run with Creaturebug last week, and came back loaded with new used books and a bunch of hers too. One of them was the guy you recommended: Robertson Davies. Haven't got to it yet because I am STILL drowning in Vanity Fair. Ask not why.

    posted by Anonymous Laura on 8:04 PM  

  • Sorry to dumb down your site, but that's why I keep Calvin and Hobbes books around the house. They're great in a pinch. (Actually, they belong to the kids; I just "borrow" them.)

    posted by Blogger Fred on 8:52 PM  

  • I LOVE Robertson Davies! Most people you talk to about him have no clue who he is! Laura, you are going to love him!

    posted by Blogger NixieKnox on 8:53 PM  

  • I'll have to read some of his books. We are reading Sam;s Letters to Jennifer in book club. NOT my idea of a great selection but I guess that is what a book club is all about?

    posted by Blogger Heather on 10:34 PM  

  • Ha ha, Fred! I love C&H too. We have those books scattered around the house, too. Mainly because my kids keep bringing 'em home from the library, but I can never resist picking them up. The one comic in the paper that I read every day is Frazz, and it kind of reminds me of C&H.

    And...doin' the happy dance because Nixie's going to read a Patrick O'Brian and Laura's going to read a Robertson Davies.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 2:55 PM