Bookworm

Bookshelf

Well, I gave up on Out of the Silent Planet, at least temporarily. The book was just too ugly to read. So, groping on my bedside table for anything -- anything! -- to read, I of course came up with a Patrick O'Brian, number 3 in the series, H.M.S. Surprise. We keep Patrick O'Brians scattered all over the house, because you never know when you might need a good roborative dose. This is the one where they are taking the envoy to Malaysia, but he dies on the way there. (That wasn't a spoiler. Plot is not what these books are about, though my husband would disagree.) But I did go to the library and find a nice, hard-cover, Bound-to-Stay-Bound copy of Planet. However, it's going to have to wait a little longer, because I also stopped by Nicola's this morning and picked up a copy of Confessions of Super-Mom. Daniel has just gone down for his nap. Sofa and Confessions: Here! I! Come!

P.S. If you are familiar with Patrick O'Brian I'm sure you will appreciate my clever use of the word roborative.

8 Comments:

  • I'll be interested to hear what you think of Out of the Silent Planet. I think Perelandra was my favorite of that series.

    posted by Blogger purple_kangaroo on 3:33 PM  

  • Well, the silly thing is, I've read it before. The whole series in fact. And the first time, which was years ago, I did manage to finish it -- the very exact same ugly copy that I still own! And I know I liked it, but I don't remember anything about it.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 6:31 PM  

  • I have been itching to buy more books (as if the HUGE pile next to my bed isn't calling to me, pleading with me to read them). I can't help myself, I hear of an interesting book and I MUST have it. So off I am to Nicola's for a hopefully not ugly copy of Out of the Silent Planet and anything by Patrick O'Brian (plus about a dozen kids books that sounded really cool too).

    posted by Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian on 6:49 PM  

  • I made a Powell's run with Creaturebug last week, and came back loaded with new used books and a bunch of hers too. One of them was the guy you recommended: Robertson Davies. Haven't got to it yet because I am STILL drowning in Vanity Fair. Ask not why.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8:04 PM  

  • Sorry to dumb down your site, but that's why I keep Calvin and Hobbes books around the house. They're great in a pinch. (Actually, they belong to the kids; I just "borrow" them.)

    posted by Blogger Fred on 8:52 PM  

  • I LOVE Robertson Davies! Most people you talk to about him have no clue who he is! Laura, you are going to love him!

    posted by Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian on 8:53 PM  

  • I'll have to read some of his books. We are reading Sam;s Letters to Jennifer in book club. NOT my idea of a great selection but I guess that is what a book club is all about?

    posted by Blogger Heather on 10:34 PM  

  • Ha ha, Fred! I love C&H too. We have those books scattered around the house, too. Mainly because my kids keep bringing 'em home from the library, but I can never resist picking them up. The one comic in the paper that I read every day is Frazz, and it kind of reminds me of C&H.

    And...doin' the happy dance because Nixie's going to read a Patrick O'Brian and Laura's going to read a Robertson Davies.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 2:55 PM