Bookworm

A prayer to Saint Jude

Well, okay, I didn't actually pray to Saint Jude (I'm Jewish). But if I could have, I would have.

For those of you who -- like me -- aren't Catholic, and -- unlike me -- aren't slightly obsessed with Catholic saints, Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost things. Mainly lost causes, but I bet he wouldn't balk at lost cordless phones.

I had a really hectic Mommy day. Joey was home sick, but he wasn't too sick. He was well enough to bug me with constant requests for videos, art supplies, attention. Daniel, the toddler, was crabby, too. One of those days where you count the minutes until your husband gets home. And where was Steve? He was late, and he always calls to let me know. Finally -- desperately -- I pick up the desk phone to call him, only to be greeted by the busy signal. At that moment I suddenly remember that earlier in the day I had -- desperately -- handed over the cordless phone to the toddler to play with. He must have turned it on. So I go upstairs to turn it off . . . and I can't find it anywhere.

When a cordless phone is off the hook you can't page it from the base. Did you know that? Did you?? You can't. So here we were, with a desperate Mommy, Daddy nowhere in sight, and no way to call in or out. That d--n phone could have been stashed away anywhere. Daniel is funny that way. We're always finding pennies in our shoes, forks and spoons in the bathtub, dominoes in the flower pot, toy cars in the linen closet.

To cut a long story short, when Steve got home (we were still looking; he had tried to call) he had a flash of inspiration. "Did you check the laundry tub?" he said. I rushed down to the basement.

There it was.

Steve, honey, you are the answer to my prayers!

8 Comments:

  • Ah, the ever-popular disappearing phone trick. A good one always, because if mommy can't find the phone, she can't talk on the phone and so she can pay more attention to Me!Me!Me!

    posted by Blogger Liz Miller on 10:55 AM  

  • Too funny (or sad)!

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 12:04 PM  

  • How funny! But how frustrating. Get him his own phone perhaps (they are cheap at the thrift store)

    posted by Blogger Unknown on 7:19 PM  

  • That title sure hooked me in. I thought you hadn't told me something!!! ;)

    Hubby to the rescue! Sometimes a "mommy day" = frustrating and draining. Tx for the ROFL well-told. (as the Bell tolled, each hour you looked for the phone....quoth the maven no more!"

    posted by Blogger Gel on 12:49 AM  

  • That's right, Liz! Me! Me! Me!

    Guusje, we have plenty of toy phones. The problem is, kids can tell the difference. When my oldest was a toddler he wouldn't go near a real, but broken, phone. He wanted the one WE used. Go figure.

    Heh, heh, Gel! Nope, I've told you everything.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 7:05 AM  

  • Yeah, my ex lost one for days once, until he finally asked D'Arcy where it was, whereupon it was retrieved from the window seat where it had been stashed. I think my model you can page when it is 'on'. Liz, i hadn't thought of it as being so deliberate, I like that idea though.

    I loved the 'posting' phase, where you're never sure what is going to turn up where. Even my cat used to 'post' stuff. The best one was a dead mouse in my work boot.

    posted by Blogger Mummy/Crit on 8:22 AM  

  • My kids know the real deal too. Wasted money buying the fake ones...

    And my youngest puts everything everywhere too. A couple of weeks ago, he hid my car keys. That was frustrating!

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 10:22 PM  

  • *Everything*??? I'm not senile yet; I remember your 'rents (that's teen speak for parents) read this blog! LOL ;)

    posted by Blogger Gel on 11:50 PM