Bookworm

A happy camper

Yesterday afternoon I finally figured out how to do a thing with CSS that I've been working on for weeks. Yesss! And then, yesterday evening, Steve and I actually got to go out on a date. We haven't gone out on a date in literally months. My parents babysat, and when we got home they gave such a glowing report of how great the kids were -- even the toddler -- that I think I blushed. And we had a terrific date. We went out to dinner and a show. The show was a high school production of Hair. Not just any old high school, though: it's the one Steve and I both went to, where he now teaches. One of the advantages of being the largest school in the state is that they've got a lot of talented kids (bigger pool to draw from, you know). I don't think I've ever heard a better version of "Easy to be Hard," the one song from the show I never liked. She was terrific! So, anyway, I don't care if it rains all day tomorrow. I hope all you moms have a wonderful weekend too!

book
Back to books, now. Let me draw your attention to the changes in the sidebar. I've listed next month's book group selection, and I encourage anyone who wants (Sleeping Mommy?) to read along. Notice, too, the new book on my bedside table. Introductory Psychology through Science Fiction, published in 1974. This is not a joke. It's a real book, and I scanned the cover in case you didn't believe me. I just love the cover. Especially the title font. Isn't it so 1974?

And what a hilarious idea. This book is basically an anthology of sci-fi short stories, with prefaces describing how each story illuminates some aspect of psychology. The first section, which I'm still in, is Psychobiology. Some other sections are: The Learning Process, Sensation and Perception, Personality, etc. What's really charming about this book is that the stories are the real, old school, classic 1950's pulp magazine stuff. Stuff that seems embarrassingly simplistic and outdated now, especially if you're into "cyberpunk" writers like William Gibson and Neil Stephenson (I'm not). But I'm loving it. I read a lot of this kind of stuff in junior high. I still remember the day I discovered Isaac Asimov in 8th grade. These stories are chicken soup for my soul. But the idea that they can be used as an introductory psych text book, oh ha ha! Wish I'd had that class in college!

12 Comments:

  • First, Happy Mothers Day!

    I love old textbooks. I'm kind of glad to know someone else reads them now and then, too. I have a shelf on one of my bookcases upstairs with nothing but.

    posted by Blogger Sharon on 6:29 AM  

  • Happy Mother's Day.

    I think that book looks great. I definitely enjoy reading old textbooks, too, so you're not alone. Usually lit and art history stuff, though. I'll have to branch out.

    posted by Blogger SuzanH on 8:18 PM  

  • Inquiring minds simply have to know - did they include the nude scene?

    posted by Blogger Unknown on 9:12 PM  

  • ****HAPPY MOM'S Day!*****
    Mr. Escape Artist and I had a long anticipated date, too. (One daughter was teching a h.s.production and the other was out on a date.) We had the house to ourselves! What a concept. :)

    You need those times out. Sounds like so much fun. We have always enjoyed h.school theatre, even B4 our kids were so involved in it. We've also returned to our old h.schools but he and I went to different ones.

    LOL to Guusjem! If they did that scene, they would have had to use creativity to comply w/ regs... I'm all ears, too

    posted by Blogger Gel on 11:51 PM  

  • Heh heh. No nudity. In fact, at first I was kind of uncomfortable with the idea of high school kids performing this show. But there was an extremely sensitive and well-written director's note in the program that talked about how the kids studied the time period and wrote essays about the show and compared what was going on then (Vietnam) to what's going on now (Iraq). And I realized that if 18-year-olds could be drafted into the ARMY and sent half way around the WORLD in order to KILL other human beings, they can certainly sing about sodomy and LSD. And more power to 'em. My final thought was that this show should ONLY be performed by high school students.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 6:32 AM  

  • Cool. Good on the director for explaining that. I've never seen 'Hair' (wrong age, wrong continent) but I like the idea of comparison between the 60s and now. I hope your mothers' day was lovely.

    posted by Blogger Mummy/Crit on 8:38 AM  

  • I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I will have to look up the book of the month selection. Thanks for mentioning it.

    posted by Blogger Sleeping Mommy on 8:19 PM  

  • Good for the director. Our teens' theatre director/teacher also had them carefully research "The Laramie Project" before that was recently performed, as the premiere high school production of it in our area. It was awesome!

    posted by Blogger Gel on 1:55 AM  

  • Hello, Julie. :) Glad you had a date. That's always nice, especially after marriage.

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 10:52 PM  

  • I'm getting very eager to see a new post from you, Bookworm! Not to push or anything!

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 2:01 PM  

  • Here's a -- call it a challenge, call it a game: Outline a book entitled "Intro to Psychology through ......fiction." Not science fiction, just fiction! E.g., Tolstoy's "Kreutzer Sonata" on the ravages of jealousy, etc.

    Even if you don't get a publisher, it's fun to think about your favorites from this point of view for a change. And if you do get a publisher, you'll be so rich you'll never have to think about anything anymore ever.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:26 PM  

  • Hi. I am trying to find 20 copies of Introductory Psychology Through Science Fiction for a Psychology Class, Fall 05 semester. 2nd Edition. Published 1977. I have to purchase the books by June 10, 2005, because of state budget limitations. If you have one to sell please email me at sdonalds@unca.edu.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6:17 PM