Bookworm

Book meme . . .

or should I say, MeMe? Anyway, Guusje sent this one my way. Here goes.

1. You are stuck inside Fahrenheit 451; which book do you want to be? I read that book so long ago that I didn't understand the question at first. I thought I was supposed to come up with a book I'd like to burn. I even thought of a few particularly obnoxious children's books I'd love to burn, such as everything Curious George. But Guusje set me straight, and now I realize I'm supposed to choose the book I'd want to memorize, or "be," to save it from death by fire. Well, I've already publicly confessed to being the ideal reader for Robertson Davies, so I think I'll choose one of his. Fifth Business, I guess. That's the first one I ever read, and it's very dear to me.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Oh, where do I begin? Probably with Bond, James Bond. The Bond from the books, not the movies. You know, the Bond with the steely grey eyes and the comma of hair that's always falling over his forehead. I read every last one of those books, in order of course, when I was in my early teens. It was love at first read. Currently I have a gigantic crush. If you've been reading my blog at all, you'll probably have figured it out already. Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin, of course. Both of them, equally. Sigh. It's worse than a crush. I'm head over heels. Twitterpated. And while I'm at it, I'll confess that I love Bonden, the coxswain, too. Poor Bonden, who was so hideously miscast in the movie. Heavy sigh.

3. Last book(s) you read? Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood. I read it for my book group; we're meeting tomorrow to discuss it; I'll post about it afterwards.

4. What are you currently reading? Check the sidebar for what's on my bedside table.

5. Five books you would take to a desert island? I hate this kind of question. How can you pick just five? I guess I'd take the OED, if that counts as one. And a blank book (with a pen). Other than that, I'll just have to concur with Guusje's hilarious & clever suggestions: Boat Building for Dummies and the Red Cross First Aid Manual. And something on smoke signals and semaphores???

Who are you going to pass this stick to and why? Well, how about doulicia, who always has something interesting to say about literature (though it's kind of beyond the scope of her blog); Rhodent, who I hope will pass it on to her two kids who also have blogs so we can see if there's a family resemblance; and my new virtual friend Crit, who I am curious to get to know a little better.

Thanks, Guusje!

5 Comments:

  • I followed you here from Doulicia's blog. :) I don't have a blog of my own at the moment (well, not one I'm actually writing in) but I feel compelled to answer the second meme question publicly, I hope you don't mind if I use your space to do that.

    Paul Atreides, Dune!

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8:29 PM  

  • Linda, thanks for all your great comments. Anyone who has a crush on Paul Atreides, appreciates Fibonacci, homebirth, MacDonald and Card has to be a friend of mine. Why don't you start a blog so I can link to it?

    Honesty compells me to confess: I don't actually call my dad Papa in person. I call him Dad. But when I send him emails I like to address him as anything from Papa to Paw, and I just kept going with that in the post. I hope I haven't let you down too badly! ;)

    posted by Blogger Julie on 9:15 PM  

  • I feel really dumb here, but what does a Meme mean? Do I now answer these same questions on my blog and then pass it on? If so, I'm so excited. I wanted to reply to the 5 question thing you posted but didn't want to take up space from people you might not know as well. (Not that you know me all that well...the primate grooming aspect of my secret self was all news to you, right?)

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 12:43 PM  

  • I was given a meme recently and thought that I should explain what they were. I found a link and put it in this post. I had no idea! And I still don't think I completely "get it"...

    posted by Blogger KarbonKountyMoos on 3:12 PM  

  • More than happy to play, but it may take me a while....I keep staying up too late and even then not having enough time to doeverything I want to! As soon as I figure out how to put links in the sidebar, is it OK to link to your blog Julie?

    posted by Blogger Mummy/Crit on 9:25 AM