Bookworm

Slaves of Golconda

When Quillhill asked me if I'd like to join a newly-formed on-line book group I enthusiastically agreed. Sure, I'll read whatever you choose, and post about it on December 18 along with everyone else. The book he chose was Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

And when the time came, I found I couldn't read it. I didn't even get myself a copy. After Birds Without Wings I just didn't have it in me to tackle a book with "death" in its title. And I got distracted by The Dark is Rising. And I also have to confess that I've never been able to get into that whole Latin American "magical realism" thing. I don't know why. I've attempted to read One Hundred Years of Solitude at least three times, and never managed to finish it. I really don't know why. Maybe I should give it another try. Thoughts, anyone?

That said, I strongly urge you to read the other bloggers' posts about Chronicle. Those I know of who've posted so far are Quillhill, Sylvia, and Ella. It is endlessly fascinating to me how the same words can elicit such different reactions from different people. And stay tuned for the next book. I'll post the title as soon as I learn it, and anyone who wants is welcome to read & post about it.

5 Comments:

  • I do like his books quite a bit (especially Love in the Time of Cholera), but I've never read this one. Thanks for the links!

    posted by Blogger Suzanne on 1:36 PM  

  • You probably made the right choice. Certain scenes in the book were downright stomach-turning. :-S

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 2:01 PM  

  • Susan (http://www.pagesturned.blogspot.com)Danielle (http://www.danitorres.typepad.com)and Maryann (http://thisblackgirlreads.org)also posted great, thoughtful reviews on "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" AND it is a forum topic at Metaxu Cafe, so there's a lot to look at! Thanks for the plug.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6:54 PM  

  • I think Love in the Time of Cholera is a bit more accessible than Solitude, if you wanted an easier place to start.

    I was thoroughly disappointed when I read Dark Is Rising, so obviously not every book fits every reader.

    We will be happy to have you slave with us on the next book.

    posted by Blogger Quillhill on 7:38 PM  

  • Ok, now I know I'm smitten with your blog. I don't get magical realism at all. I managed to finish One Hundred Years of Solitude, but I'd almost rather spend 100 years in solitary confinment than be subjected to it again . . .

    posted by Blogger Anita on 4:54 PM