Bookworm

Busy days

For an introvert like me, having social events five days in a row doesn't exactly sound enticing. But I had five really lovely days last week. Here they are:

Wednesday: I met blogger Melissa! She lives in another state, but her parents live nearby. She was visiting them for the holiday, so we met at Starbucks. Just the two of us, no kids. It was great. We chatted away like old friends until suddenly it was dark outside and her cell phone was ringing with the news that she needed to come home for dinner. She is so nice and sweet and funny, just like her blog. What a delight!

Thursday: Satiation shock, infra.

Friday: Spent the entire day with friends. Okay. Yes. I admit it. We spent the day tossing dice of many shapes and colors. If you don't get it, I'm not going to explain it. You already know I like games.

Saturday: Satiation shock part 2: Thanksgiving dinner with my husband's family. We did the whole thing all over again. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yup. Two huge highlights of the dinner were the salad (mixed greens with roasted beets and this amazing mild creamy goat cheese) and the homemade ginger ice cream. Another highlight was the college freshman cousin who brought along his BANJO.

Sunday: A HUGE mommy moment -- Joey's first piano recital! My mom had serious reservations about taking him as a student because, being mostly retired, she couldn't provide the experience of regular recitals with a bunch of kids taking turns playing. So we decided we'd have to create opportunities, and what better opportunity than Thanksgiving vacation, with out-of-town relatives present. Joey was very nervous beforehand (Grandpa Bookworm and I responded, "Good! You're supposed to be nervous! You think Vladimir Horowitz never got nervous before a concert?" Reassuring, I know. But I was glad Joey took it seriously enough to be nervous.) And bless his heart, he played very well. And his little cousins were mostly quiet, though at one point Daniel commented quite loudly, "Oh my goodness!"

One of my mom's recital traditions is to begin with a student-teacher duet. Awww!


Recital


So that was my busy week. During all this, I also finished another blog design. And I've been reading Birds Without Wings (see sidebar), which I am LOVING. So far. I'm not even a hundred pages into it yet. But I'm loving it. It's very colorful, atmospheric, full of peasant superstition, aphorisms, Christianity vs. Islam, oh, just wonderful. It's got all the ingredients for a Julie's Favorite [rubbing hands gleefully in anticipation, and hoping for a bad back or mild cold to keep me in bed for a day or two . . . ]

11 Comments:

  • Congrats on Joey's first piano recital and your blogger meetup and your awesome new blog design.

    What a fabulous set of events to converge :)

    posted by Blogger Running2Ks on 2:06 PM  

  • Great picture - they look very intense. You don't sound like an introvert to me...

    posted by Blogger Fred on 4:33 PM  

  • I'm glad Joey's recital went so well!

    And kudos on yet another cool site.

    posted by Blogger Suzanne on 5:28 PM  

  • It sounds like a lovely week! I love the new site! I actually collect chickens. Not real ones, of course.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8:30 PM  

  • I am waiting for you to catch up in Birds because I have so much to say . . . tell me where you're at.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:37 AM  

  • Fun post! There are bloggers I want to meet. I've even made plans 360 days in advance.... *ducks for cover under a strong object, not a book*

    posted by Blogger Gel on 2:51 AM  

  • Yeah, sounds like a great week. I love that photo of Joey and your mum. Music is a fabulous thing for children and adults alike.

    posted by Blogger Mummy/Crit on 5:58 AM  

  • Beautiful photo. My mom was a piano teacher too. I wish I had a photo of her teaching my kids, but she wouldn't do it. I think I was her last pupil, and I went on to other teachers when I turned 13.

    My family is also game-crazy. Scrabble and Boggle are fallbacks, and the new generation has introduced many new games, some not at all word-based. I would love to play your earring-drawing game.

    posted by Blogger SavtaDotty on 10:35 AM  

  • I'm loving your web designs. Is this something you do professionally? Should I know this already?

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:41 PM  

  • O.K. I am all teary at the photo. And as for the new blog design, I just have to say you are kicking some serious ass here! totally different colors, feel, look from Mimilou's and equally engaging. I think we had wallpaper in our kitchen exactly like that in the '70s.

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 8:22 AM  

  • I don't see the new blog design. I see white background, with the book at the top. That's all I've ever seen. Doulicia said she had a new one, and I just thought she switched to a white background. What am I missing?

    I get the dice thing. I just saw my cousin after a long time, and he's gonna loan me a DM book so I can teach my Beloved how to play AD&D. We're still big nerds.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 2:47 PM