Bookworm

Mad scramble

It's snowing! Not a lot, but enough. You can see it on the garage roof. And you know what that means, right? It means a mad scramble to the mall for boots and mittens as soon as the kids get home from school. I was born and raised right here in Michigan. You'd think for once I'd be ready.

* * *

Tonight's the annual neighborhood Cub Scout-sponsored PANCAKE SUPPER. My son is not a Cub Scout (what? wear that uniform? I don't THINK so!) and I unequivocally do NOT support their right-wing, homophobic values, but gosh the Pancake Supper is so much fun that I just can't say no. Everyone sits at long tables in the school gym, and uniformed cub scouts bring around pancakes and ham and cheese cubes and applesauce. And you feel like you're in the middle of the Vinyl Cafe, or a Norman Rockwell painting. The whole neighborhood turns out. You can hardly breathe because it's so hot and stuffy with all the people in there, and you know everyone, and they know you, and your kids spot their friends across the room and want to go eat with them instead of you, which is fine because everyone knows everyone anyway, and we all keep an eye out for each other. I'm going to have to go solo tonight because Steve has parent-teacher conferences, but I don't care. I wouldn't miss this event for the world!

* * *

I've been overwhelmed by the response to Mimilou's new blog design. Thank you all for the wonderful compliments! Not only that, but less than 24 hours after I installed it I got another commission! Stay tuned, because this one will be very different from my previous efforts, and it's going to be a lot of fun.

9 Comments:

  • That pancake meal sounds like so much fun. I hope there are pictures :)

    posted by Blogger Running2Ks on 3:49 PM  

  • Hey, can you post a picture of that snow? We don't get any here in San Francisco and I miss it: rather, I miss sitting inside looking out at it.

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4:24 PM  

  • Yeah, I am never ready for the snow and I have lived here my whole life too. I sent Z to school today with only one glove because the other had disappeared. And she refuses to wear the other set. We had a lovely group dinner tonight at Z's school - the after school program put it on and it was a lot of fun! Hope the pancakes were awesome!

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 7:51 PM  

  • Snow? Not here. But it did get down to 50. That's cold in our book!

    The new blog looks lovely - your work gets better and better and I can get to say that I knew you when!

    posted by Blogger Unknown on 9:51 PM  

  • Brrrrrr. I hate snow. I've only seen it three times in my entire life, and it was three times too many. We don't get snow down here, thankfully.

    posted by Blogger Saur♥Kraut on 10:44 AM  

  • Wow - that is a pretty nice design. Here's my wish-list: a graphic of a bespectacled forty-something teacher who has a ponytail, and wears nothing but Hawaiian shirts.

    How's that for a challenge?

    posted by Blogger Fred on 1:04 PM  

  • I feel exactly as you do, about the Boy Scouts organization generally AND the Pancake Supper. you capture the atmosphere to a tee.

    And I've been too busy at work to surf around so this was my first peek at Mimilou's blog and it's gorgeous. If I didn't have my pretty new one, I'd be completely jealous.

    Nicely done.

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 9:44 PM  

  • Your new blog design is very pretty. :) My boys are hoping for snow, but being a Southerner, the chances are iffy.

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 1:09 AM  

  • Snow- whoah! I cannot imagine now. I remember those scrambles though b/c I'd have forgotten that my girls actually GREW lol....

    Mazel Tov on the business flourishing. I'll check out her site for the design. :)

    posted by Blogger Gel on 8:42 PM