Bookworm

Where does he come up with this stuff?

This was a hard day. I was going to write a very sad post about a gigantic funeral that was held this morning at the church next to our house (tragic auto accident, parents and young children, 'nuff said), but decided instead to cheer myself up (and hopefully you too) with this little tidbit:

My son Joey, age 9, is into Yugioh, but because he's Joey, he prefers to make up his own cards than play with ones created by someone else. He goes through index cards like you wouldn't believe. I made a little collage of three randomly chosen cards from a recent pile:

homemade yugioh cards


If you're at all familiar with Yugioh you'll know that the above are fairly typical of the genre. And then I found this one:

9 Comments:

  • The last one should be framed. Or at least preserved somehow so he'll have insight into his childhood brain. Priceless.

    posted by Blogger Kate on 9:02 PM  

  • He has drawing talent. Ignoring taxes is civil disobedience. (Or so some say. I pay mine.)

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 11:08 PM  

  • That is fantastic. I love it.

    posted by Blogger SuzanH on 11:26 PM  

  • Oh man, I must show these to Isaac (my almost eight-year-old). Not only does he also make his own Yu-gi-oh cards, but he told me yesterday that he wishes he had a billion dollars so he would never have to worry about things like paying taxes (obviously he doesn't get taxes, but why on earth are these boys concerned about taxes anyway?)

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 12:06 PM  

  • Great stuff. My children are wonderful artists; we have boxes of their material that we're holding onto. It's just too precious to throw away.

    posted by Blogger Fred on 7:27 PM  

  • Heh heh! I was thinking about some kind of humorous comment about Laura's son, you know something about the connection between billionaires and low taxes and the current administration, but I couldn't make it come out right. You know what I mean, anyway.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 8:05 AM  

  • He's darned creative. Brilliant kid!

    posted by Blogger Running2Ks on 3:59 PM  

  • Those are great! My 7yo draws his own cards, too, but they're not that artistic or detailed with text, not yet at least. (We got a great stock of blank cards from The Scrap Box earlier this year; not sure if they would still have any but they had a giant bin then.) Anyway, he asked me to draw cards with him one day, so I drew a "Honey" and a "Vinegar". Of course everyone knows you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so I'm sure you can figure out which one was more powerful...

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 11:38 PM  

  • Tricia, the Scrap Box? Do you live in Ann Arbor? Do I know you? Or is The Scrap Box a franchise?

    I love the honey & vinegar thing, by the way. I have used the fable about the sun and the wind as a parenting tool more times than I can count. Attempted to use, I should say. It doesn't seem to have sunk in yet. :)

    posted by Blogger Julie on 7:16 AM