Bookworm

Another old favorite

Now that I have a little bookworm I'm spending more time in the chapter book aisles at the library. I came across one of my old faves near the Junie B. Jones books: Lisa and Lottie, by Erich Kästner. He also wrote Emil and the Detectives and an amazing book called The Little Man. There's a scene from The Little Man that haunts me still.

Lisa and Lottie is the original book on which the movie The Parent Trap is based. You know the story: the twins meet at camp, trade places, and eventually get their separated parents back together again. However, this story takes place in post-war Europe (Lisa lives in Vienna; Lottie in Munich), and there are all sorts of charming details; you know, wiener schnitzel, etc. I had never heard of the movie when I first read the book, and I found it absolutely entrancing. Thirty years later, it's still entrancing.

I'm sure this bound-to-stay-bound volume that I'm holding in my hands right now is the very same one I read (several times) as a kid. The illustrations, too, were old friends.

Lisa and Lottie

4 Comments:

  • I never read that one! Ooooh, I'll have to go check it out!

    posted by Blogger Liz Miller on 10:56 AM  

  • Don't forget about Heidi which was one of my faves back then.

    posted by Blogger Liz Miller on 10:57 AM  

  • Not read these but yes to Heidi. Cool that it is same hardback, J!

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 9:57 AM  

  • This was one of my favorite books as a kid--that was sadly ruined when our basement flooded.
    I would LOVE if you would scan the page where Lottie and her Mom go hiking together----ahhh the memories. Old books are truely old friends.

    posted by Blogger Deeann on 12:21 AM