Bookworm

In which the Bookworm goes to a show and gets surprised

Now wouldn’t that be a cute blog gimmick? To title every post in the manner of a 17th-century novel, “In which . . .”?

Anyway, I did go to a show last night. It was a community theater performance of Brigadoon, which I first saw performed during the summer of 1980 at my favorite place on earth. I loved it then—I was 13 and the guy who played Tommy was so cute. And what a romantic story, sigh.

My sister and her husband were both in this show. My brother-in-law had a part: Charlie. He's the one who sings “I'll Go Home to Bonnie Jean,” a great, fun song. My sister was in the chorus. It was a terrific production, and I have to impartially mention that my brother-in-law totally stole the show. Not only does he have a terrific voice (he was a voice performance major—opera—as an undergrad, though he's now a lawyer), but he’s an adorable actor and dancer, too. He also is 6'7". Whoa.

The afternoon before the first show my sister said I should watch out because there was going to be a surprise for me at the show. “What do you mean?” I asked. “A surprise just for me, out of everyone in the whole audience?” “Yep,” said Sissy, her voice full of suppressed laughter and excitement. Well, I was flummoxed. I had been agitating for years that this group should do Brigadoon, way back when the woman who happens to be the assistant producer was my study buddy in law school, like, more than a decade ago. But my little surprise didn’t have anything to do with that. It was really cute.

As you may remember, Brigadoon is about two guys who go to Scotland. (I haven’t spoiled anything by telling you this.) So, at the very beginning, they had this very brief scene of people rushing around with suitcases in an airport, cell phones ringing, etc. They had a woman backstage being the ticket attendant over a microphone, announcing flight departures and arrivals, and “paging passenger Julie Hathaway” (that’s me). Oh ha ha, not to be too narcissistic or anything, but I LOVED it! The woman who did the announcing is a very old friend of Sissy’s, and they concocted this plan together. They are going to say a different audience member’s name each night.

* * *

I also went to my first Introduction to HTML class yesterday morning. Did you notice something different about this post? DID YOU NOTICE IT?????

Curly quotes, and three em dashes.

Mrsd, I will happily tell you everything I learn, and thanks so much for your kind words of support, but please realize you are way ahead of me. I am eager to put a list of my favorite blogs on the side but have no idea how to do it. And, hey, if anyone out there knows a way to do curly quotes without laboriously typing the code each time, PLEASE TELL ME! Also, I’d like to know if I can globally change all the single- and double-quotes I already have. Can I just do a find-and-replace?

3 Comments:

  • Julie,
    Woody at 'The Cheesebee Chronicles' sent me the html code. All credit goes to him on this one. :)

    Somewhere under your sidebar code (found in the template) is where you'll post links. I'll show you what mine looks like with < and > keys changed to left and right parentheses. (Because blogger comment doesn't allow html code.) Make sure you change all the parentheses back to left < and right > arrows.

    (p) This is a paragraph of text that could go in the sidebar.(/p)
    -->
    (h6)Blogs I Read For Inspiration, Education, Plagiarism, Reciprocation, Or None Of The Above! ;)(/h6)
    (ul)
    (li)(a href="http://sad--cafe.blogspot.com/" (From A Flower To A Garden(/a)(/li)


    See the (h6)? This is where your Links Code will start. Woody said the 6 is for the font size.

    The (ul) is for underlining.

    The (li) is html code for--you guessed it, links. The rest of the code is what you're already doing in making clickable links: (a href="web address")Name You Want Highlighted(/a)

    Hope that helps!
    mrsd

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 7:50 PM  

  • Woo-hoo! Thank you so much, mrsd! As you can see, it worked!

    FYI, though, here's a few things I learned in my class:

    Although the h6 tag does change the font size, really it's a sixth-level heading for an outline, and the default is 8 points. The teacher said we should only use heading tags if we're actually making an outline, because some browsers might get confused by suddenly finding a mid-level heading without a first-level heading in front of it. She recommended using the font size tag, with the size being a number from 1 to 7 (3 is the default, equivalent to 12 points). You might want to change yours. On my browser, which is Mozilla, your heading is almost illegibly tiny.

    The other thing I wanted to tell you is that the ul tag doesn't mean underline; it means unordered list, i.e. a list that's not numbered. And the li tag is for list item, not link. The href thing is for the link.

    I don't mean to be overbearing or obnoxious in correcting you--I'm just so excited about my new knowledge (I only learned this stuff yesterday) so I couldn't help share it. And you did say you'd come knocking . . .

    posted by Blogger Julie on 9:31 PM  

  • "The other thing I wanted to tell you is that the ul tag doesn't mean underline; it means unordered list, i.e. a list that's not numbered. And the li tag is for list item, not link. The href thing is for the link."

    Ah, now I see! (By the way, those were my assumptions, not Woodys.) :)

    Thanks, I'll change the font size. You're not obnoxious at all.

    Studiously,
    mrsd

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 9:57 PM