Bookworm

Reflections on raw cookie dough, and a recipe

Did you know that 1 heaping tablespoon of soy flour plus 2 tablespoons water (or other liquid) can be substituted for an egg? This is true. I read it in the Tightwad Gazette. The reason it's mentioned there is because one egg costs approximately ten cents, but a tablespoon of soy flour only costs a penny. I tried it, and by gum, it works. I've used soy flour in meatloaf, homemade bread, muffins, cookies. You cannot tell the difference in the finished product.

However, I also discovered that soy flour imparts a weird flavor to raw cookie dough. Personally, I'm not all that worried about getting salmonella from eating raw eggs, and I happily gobble up raw cookie dough even when it has eggs in it. But why not save nine cents on every batch?

Duh! Why not save ten cents on every batch! You don't need an egg if you're not going to bake it. So now I just add two extra tablespoons milk.

Here's the recipe:

Cream together one stick butter, and one half cup each of brown and white sugar. Add three tablespoons (original recipe: one tablespoon, plus one egg) milk and one teaspoon vanilla. Combine, then add one cup flour and one half teaspoon each baking powder, baking soda, salt. Combine those, then add one cup quick oats, plus a handful of nuts and/or chocolate chips.

Caution: even though you aren't going to bake the dough, do not leave out the powder, soda or salt. It definitely does not taste the same without those critical ingredients.

3 Comments:

  • I am so enjoying reading this blog. The growth milestones that choke you up...the amazing insight in a nine-year-old...and, well, raw cookie dough!

    Keep it up.

    Question, bookworm: What are your thoughts about Lemony Snickett and the Unfortunate Events series?

    posted by Blogger doulicia on 9:21 PM  

  • Lemony Snickett . . . We own the first book in the series. Joey started it, but I don't think he finished it. At any rate, he didn't like it. I then picked it up but only read the first two or three chapters. Certainly it was well-written, better than the Spy Kids and Young Jedi crap that Joey likes to read. I don't know why I didn't finish it. We haven't seen the movie, either. What about you?

    Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like the blog. And you know it's mutual. I check yours every day. And if you want a co-author or editor or researcher or helper of any kind when you start working on Lore of the Rag, I am (seriously) ready, willing and able!

    posted by Blogger Julie on 11:13 PM  

  • Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
    » »

    posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6:11 PM