Bookworm

I'm back, Doulicia!

I guess it has been a few days since I was last here. Couldn't help it. It's been a stressful few days. Yesterday was so bad that I actually asked my husband to stay home from work today. Which he did, bless his heart. "I'm sure glad I have a union job," he said as he prepared lesson plans for the sub. He was supposed to be giving a quiz today. I know those kids were so disappointed!

I don't think I've ever asked Steve to stay home from work to help me with the kids. He has stayed home when I'm sick, on his own initiative, bless his heart again, but I've never actually asked him to. For all you mommies out there, I don't have to go into detail. Just picture your typical overtired-but-won't-sleep, hungry-but-won't-eat toddler. Then add two tired, fragile older kids, one of whom, we now know, was on the verge of getting the flu (his temp this morning was 103.6), the other of whom I will discuss in a moment. Result: ONE TOTALLY FRIED MOMMY.

My poor little daughter is not enjoying kindergarten as much as I would like. We're paying, paying, for public school so that she could be in this class with this incredible teacher. (It's called Extended Day Option, and essentially we're paying for half a day of day care with the kindergarten teacher being the day care provider. For some reason, despite No Child Left Behind (ohhhhh, don't get me started, this isn't supposed to be a political blog), we don't have free all-day kindergarten for everyone in our district.) But Lena's a real mommy's girl and although she doesn't have trouble separating, she misses me hugely while she's at school. She's a little trouper, and doesn't complain much, but it's taking a toll on her. She's also not a super-energetic kid, and she's very tired at the end of the school day. (Her iron level is normal.)

What a good girl!

Originally uploaded by Julie H.
PLUS, I discovered yesterday, there is a girl in her class who is being mean to her. This girl, who clearly suffers from extreme social and economic disadvantages and still cannot write her own name, actually told my precious daughter that she (Lena) is a BAD GIRL. Furthermore, this girl told Lena that she plans to call her a bad girl EVERY DAY. I don't know what I'm doing blogging instead of emailing the teacher about this. Not only am I furious at this little girl, but so sad, too. I'm sure "bad girl" is something she hears a lot at home. So sad.

OK, time to go email the teacher now.

4 Comments:

  • How sad for all involved. I'm sorry you have to pay, and I hope your daughter's conflict will be resolved soon.

    posted by Blogger mrsd on 1:51 PM  

  • It is sad. I have talked with Lena about how this little girl was never taught how to be nice and make friends, and I think she understands that. And our terrific teacher is completely on top of the situation. Today after school Lena was frustrated because the other girl was ignoring her. Go figure.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 7:37 PM  

  • I can't believe you have to pay for the other half day! Crazy! Go easy on your child's teacher. :o)

    posted by Blogger Pigs on 5:55 PM  

  • Go easy on the teacher?? We love her! Just to clarify: we chose to pay for all-day K with this incredible teacher. We could have gone half-day for free, but with a different teacher. My husband's a teacher too, by the way.

    posted by Blogger Julie on 10:36 PM